Agency Header

FAQs - BCSE Services During Pandemic

Most BCSE staff are tele-working at this time with minimal staff in offices. We remain committed to helping individuals receive their support payments and obtain the child support services they require.

What is the best way to contact BCSE staff during this pandemic?

The best way to contact BCSE is through email. You can find your local office email on the home page in the Find Local Office tab.

Will BCSE provide in-person services during the COVID-19 epidemic?

Unfortunately, during the pandemic, BCSE is unable to serve walk-in visitors to protect the safety of our citizens. Face-to-face services pose undue risk to all populations and the welfare of all individuals is our number one priority. 

What services are postponed during the pandemic?

  • We will not have face-to-face contact.
  • We will not accept payments in person. Postage paid payment envelopes are available in the lobby of our local offices along with information regarding services and other payment options.
  • We have limited staff answering phones, therefore, the best avenue to obtain assistance is email. You may find email information on our home page in the Find Local Office tab.
  • Enforcement actions are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Enforcement actions requiring a court hearing are currently suspended. For specific information regarding your circumstances, email your local BCSE office.

Will I continue to receive my child support or spousal payments?

Any payments BCSE receives will continue to be direct deposited or placed on your debit card. If the payor in your case is still working, receiving unemployment benefits, or making direct payments, you will continue to get your support as we receive payments.

How can I make a payment on my child support or spousal case?

Click on this Make a Payment link.
At this time, payments can NOT be accepted at local child support offices. Postage paid payment envelopes are available in the lobby of our local offices along with information regarding services and other payment options. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Will BCSE garnish the stimulus payments?

As directed by Congress, the IRS has protocols in place to garnish monies from the first stimulus payments (CARES Act, 2020) for most individuals that are behind on child support. The second stimulus payments (Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021) does NOT have protocols in place to garnish monies for child support. Common questions and answers regarding the second stimulus payment can be found on the IRS Website - link.

My support payor owes unpaid child support, when will I receive monies from the Federal stimulus payment?

BCSE has not received notification of when the stimulus monies will be sent. This section will be updated once we receive specific instructions from the IRS. BCSE is working to ensure that these payments are quickly processed.

I was supposed to go to court, when will I have another court date?

The Supreme Court of Appeals issued several emergency orders due to the COVID-19 crisis. The judicial emergency orders have expired and courts are resuming operations. However, some courts are holding hearings in person, while others are holding hearings by telephone.  The BCSE is mailing new hearing notices.  If you have not received a new hearing notice by the end of June, please e-mail your local office to check. 

Are there new procedures regarding Court hearings due to COVID-19?

Courts are establishing specific rules for entering buildings, filing pleadings, and how they conduct hearings. It is very important to follow the instructions provided with your hearing notice. If you do not have your hearing paperwork, you should contact your local county courthouse to determine if you will appear in person, by phone, or by video. Legal Aid of WV has provided information regarding going to court and a checklist for remote hearings that may be a useful resource.

How do I apply for support services?

On our home page, click on the application link to be redirected to information on applying for BCSE services, or
Go directly to to apply for BCSE services. WV has a new integrated application portal that allows WV families to apply online for a variety of DHHR programs. 

How can I check on the status of my application?

You can check the status of your application by emailing your local child support office.

How do I comply with child support to obtain Temporary Cash Assistance (TANF) during the pandemic?

You will be contacted by a BCSE employee by phone or email if further information is needed to process your case.

I was laid off because of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), and I cannot pay my child support, what should I do?

Losing one’s job can seem overwhelming. However, there are immediate steps you can take.
First, see if you are eligible to file for unemployment at The requirements have been relaxed during this pandemic.
Second, notify BCSE via email at or locate your local child support office email on the home page in the Find Local Office tab and request a review of your child support order.

Will my child support payments still be due if I am unable to work due to the Coronavirus?

Yes, your child support payment continues to be due according to the terms of your Order. If you have been laid off or you are experiencing a reduction in hours, see if you qualify for unemployment, and email BCSE (see previous answer), and request a review of your child support order. You may also apply for other assistance programs at 

Check My Payments | Find a Local Office | Contact Us | Site Map
To view Nondiscrimination Policies and Plans, please click here.