The mission of the WV Division of Tobacco Prevention (DTP) is to reduce disease, disability and death related to tobacco.
Goals for the Division include:
- Prevent the initiation of tobacco use among WV youth.
- Eliminate exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke.
- Promote cessation of tobacco use among adults and young people.
- Identify and eliminate disparities among population groups related to tobacco use.
- Build, maintain, and enhance the State’s capacity to address the burden of all chronic diseases.
The focus of the program is cessation, youth, and community coalition building. These three programs follow the recommendations outlined in the Best Practices for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs as published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (last revised in 2014), and the West Virginia Tobacco Use Reduction Plan for 2016-2020.