The mission of the WV Division of Tobacco Prevention (DTP) is to reduce disease, disability and death related to tobacco.
Goals for the Division include:
- Prevent the initiation of tobacco use among WV youth.
- Eliminate exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke.
- Promote cessation of tobacco use among adults and young people.
- Identify and eliminate disparities among population groups related to tobacco use.
- Build, maintain, and enhance the State’s capacity to address the burden of all chronic diseases.
The focus of the program is cessation, youth, and community coalition building. These three programs follow the recommendations outlined in the Best Practices for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs as published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (last revised in 2014).
CDC Best Practices Document
The Division of Tobacco Prevention has updated the State Plan for 2020-2025. To acces this document click here.
West Virginia Tobacco Use Reduction Plan for 2020-2025.
IMPORTANT NEW INFORMATION ON THE DANGERS OF VAPING!
EVALI: Is the name given by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to the dangerous, newly identified lung disease linked to vaping. The name EVALI is an acronym that stands for e-cigarette or vaping product use-associated lung injury. For more information click here.