What is STLR?
- “Statewide Therapist Loan Repayment" (STLR) is a project of the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- STLR awards are expected to exceed $20,000 of awardees' eligible student loan expenses in exchange for a 2-year service obligation with a qualified employer in the state of West Virginia.
- Prioritized clinical professions include counseling, psychology, and/or social work master's level therapists or counselors. As of 2022, child psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners will also be included in order to meet the needs of West Virginians.
- Priority may be given to applicants whose service focuses on the Eastern Panhandle, Southern West Virginia, or an underserved rural setting; whose clinical interest includes co-occurring addiction and mental health; children's mental health; or geriatrics; who have lived experience with substance use disorder and or mental health conditions either directly or involving a family member
- The candidate's graduation date must be between May 1, 2019 - August 31, 2022.
- The vision of STLR program is to contribute to West Virginia's recovery, in employment as well as health, at the individual and community level. STLR will give priority to individuals who are themselves in recovery and have “lived experience."
- Awards will be provided after successful applicants are hired by qualified employers (listed below) who provide professional liability insurance coverage and agree to the terms and conditions of the STLR guidelines.
- Awards are subject to the availability of funds.
What West Virginia employers may be eligible?
- Entities working toward Certified Community Behavioral Health Center (CCBHC) status
- Office Based Medication Assisted Treatment (OBMAT)
- Licensed Behavioral Health Center (LBHC)
- Federal Qualified Health Center (FQHC)
Sounds great! How can I find out more?
- The application period for the current funding has ended. Any updates on future funding opportunities will be posted on this page.
- Contact the STLR Coordinator, Steven Little:
Call or Text: 304.400.9575
Other West Virginia Behavioral Health Workforce Incentive Programs