What is STLR?
- “Statewide Therapist Loan Repayment" (STLR) is a project of the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- STLR awards for master's level therapists are expected to pay $35,000 of awardees' eligible student loan expenses in exchange for a 2-year service obligation with a qualified employer in West Virginia.
- STLR awards for child psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners are expected to pay $100,000 of awardees' eligible student loan expenses in exchange for a 2-year service obligation with a qualified employer in West Virginia.
- Prioritized clinical professions include counseling, psychology, and/or social work master's level therapists or counselors. As of 2022, child psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners will also be included in order to meet the needs of West Virginians.
- The vision of STLR program is to contribute to West Virginia's recovery, in employment as well as health, at the individual and community level. STLR will give priority to individuals who are themselves in recovery and have “lived experience."
- Awards will be provided after successful applicants are hired by qualified employers (listed below) who provide professional liability insurance coverage and agree to the terms and conditions of the STLR guidelines.
- Awards are subject to the availability of funds.
- Future updates on the STLR Program will be posted on this page.
What West Virginia employers may be eligible?
- Entities working toward Certified Community Behavioral Health Center (CCBHC) status
- Office Based Medication Assisted Treatment (OBMAT)
- Licensed Behavioral Health Center (LBHC)
- Federal Qualified Health Center (FQHC)
Sounds great! How can I find out more?
Other West Virginia Behavioral Health Workforce Incentive Programs