April is here, and with it comes the momentum of emergency preparedness for the warmer months to come. Americans have been moving from awareness into action to prepare for disasters and save lives with America’s PrepareAthon!, a grassroots, community-based campaign to create a more prepared nation. On April 30, National PrepareAthon! Day encourages all Americans to get involved and get prepared now and throughout the year and to know what to do when a disaster occurs.
By organizing an event or taking an action to prepare yourself and your loved ones for disasters, you will add to the national momentum of preparedness and keep everyone in your community safe. Any preparedness action, including the 10 Ways to Participate, could have huge impacts! To help you raise awareness for your preparedness efforts and activities, we offer the newly released 2016 America’s PrepareAthon! Spring Digital Engagement Toolkit. This toolkit provides sample tweets and Facebook posts to help build momentum for America’s PrepareAthon! as well as any activities leading up to and on April 30th National PreareAthon! Day. We encourage you to customize this content for your organization and use it at a time that is most relevant to you.
The 2016 America’s PrepareAthon! Spring Digital Engagement Toolkit is available at https://www.ready.gov/prepareathon-toolkit.
Below is the new Tagline (promoting National PrepareAthon! Day) and new DIY Actions (10 Ways to Take Action for America’s PrepareAthon).
The purpose of both of these resources is to provide you with Do It Yourself (DIY) tools that make it easy for you to lead by example. Included in this email:
1) A DIY tagline and/or banner that folks can voluntarily add to their email signature block to continually direct readers to preparedness resources throughout the month.
2) DIY preparedness tips culled from the toolkit to reinforce the new month’s Preparedness Themes.
April’s DIY tagline encourages everyone to Join us all month long to promote National PrepareAthon Day…
Add the America’s PrepareAthon! Banner to your emails:
Take ACTION and join America’s PrepareAthon! and click on this banner to find out more:
Directions: If you are using Outlook:
Step One: Left click on the banner and select “copy”
Step Two: Open a new email and go to the “Insert” Tab
Step Three: Click on “Signature” and select “signature…”
Step Four: Click in the Box at the bottom (where your can edit your current Signature), and scroll to the end.
Step Five: Left hand click in the box and select “paste” and the banner will appear.
Step Six: Click “Okay”
April’s DIY tips can be posted on bulletin boards, reinforced at meetings, be adapted into talking points in any venue, to Enforce taking Preparedness actions on behalf of America’s prepareathon!
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings, download apps, and/or check access for wireless emergency alerts. Read more here.
- Create and test emergency communications plans. Find the Family Plan Template here.
- Assemble or update emergency supplies.
- Learn about local hazards and conduct a drill to practice emergency response actions. Free resources here.
- Participate in a preparedness discussion, training, or class.
- Collect and safeguard critical documents. Download the checklist here.
- Document property and obtain appropriate insurance for relevant hazards. Learn more about disaster insurance here
- Make property improvements to reduce potential injury and property damage (mitigation).
- Hold a scenario-based continuity of operations tabletop exercise for your organization. Free community resources here.
- Plan with neighbors to help each other and share resources.