Agency Header

Parents and Caretakers

When the relationship between a child's parents ends, it does not end both parents responsibility for their child. Both parents remain financially and legally obligated to their child whether the parents live together, separately, or separately from their child.

The Bureau for Child Support Enforcement establishes paternity (a legal determination of the father of the child) and support and enforces support from a child's parent.  The Bureau also enforces court orders for spousal support or alimony.

If a parent cannot pay the full support amount, the parent can apply for a modification of the support amount. the law does not allow modification unless there has been a substantial change in circumstances (incarceration of a parent is considered to be a substantial change of circumstances).  If a parent does not apply for and receive an order modifying the support amount, that amount is owed in full, with interest.

Either or both parents can apply for services with the Bureau.


     Application for Services
     Bank Card Information
     Direct Deposit Application
Check Existing/Pending Payments (Click Here for Instructions)
     Establish Paternity
     General Child Support Questions and Answers
     How Does the BCSE Process Payments
     Modification of Child Support Orders
     Income Shares Support Formula
     Non-Custodial Parent Living in Another State
     Commonly Used Terms
     Brochures and Videos
     Contact Us

Non-Custodial Parents:

     Make a Support Payment
Check to See if a Support Payment Has Been Made (Click Here for Instructions)     

Resouces For Parents of Children 3-8 Years Old:

     Sesame Street provides Toolkits to help your child when-

     Dealing With Divorce
     Dealing With Incarceration