Foster Homes

How do I become a foster parent?

          1. Register

              Complete the Foster Parent Inquiry Form online or contact Mission WV toll free at 866-CALL-MWV (225-5698).‚Äč

          2. Attend a pre-service orientation

             This training discusses the responsibilties and details of becoming a foster parent.

          3. Complete a home study.

             The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources (WVDHHR) provides home studies for those families who plan to foster a child.

             A home study is a family assessment.  A social worker will interview everyone in the household. References are contacted and medical reports are reviewed. A criminal investigation and a protective services background check are broth performed on all adults in the home.
             A social worker also discusses wtih perspective parents the type of child that would be the best possible match for their family. All information gathered during the assessment is kept confidential.

          4. Notification of approval

              After completion of the assessment the family will be notified whether their home has been approved for foster children.

How do I become a special needs provider?

A Specialized Family Care home is a specially recruited and trained famiy that provides training, nuturing, and a family atmosphere for anyone with a developmental disability. A host family provides special services under a contract with a placement agency. The home is a place where the individual can grow and develop his or her maximum potential mentally, physically, emotionally and socially. In many instances, the Specialized Family Care home becomes the person's permanent home.

          To learn more click here.

          If interested in becoming a Specialized Family Care home, please complete the Special Needs Provider Application.

Need more information?

        View frequently asked questions about foster parents.

        View Foster Care Policy.

        View Relative Letter.

For questions or concerns contact:

Bureau for Social Services
350 Capitol Street, Room 691
Charleston, WV 25301
(304) 558-7980