Nutrition education is available to all WIC participants and family members.
The goals of nutrition education are:
To achieve a positive change in eating habits related to the participant's nutrition risks;
To teach the relationship between proper nutrition and good health;
To promote the optimal use of WIC supplemental foods and other nutritious foods; and
To provide nutrition education within the context of the ethnic and cultural preferences.
Online Nutrition Education Classes:
WIC participants may take Online Nutrition Education. Internet education may not be used in place of individual counseling at the certification visit or with high risk priority clients.
To complete a lesson on your smartphone or tablet: To complete a lesson on your computer:
- Find the "WICSmart" app. 1. Go to wicsmart.com or wicsmart.jpma.com.
- Download the app. 2. Select West Virginia as your agency.
- Click on the app and select West Virginia as your agency. 3. Continue with steps 4 - 8 as shown to the left.
- Enter your Family ID# (F00000000000).
- Click on login.
- Click on any module.
- Finish the module at your own pace. If you get interrupted, you can save the session. Click on the "save" button come back later to complete.
- Once you finish the module, you are done! No need to print or save anything. Your local WIC Program will let you know the next step.
To complete a lesson on your computer:
1. Click on the link above.
2. Once you complete the module, to get credit for completing the class:
- call your WIC clinic with the certificate number; OR
- bring in a printed certificate or a certificate number to your WIC clinic.
- Breastfeeding Benefits 11. Fiber 21. Whole Grains
- Breastfeeding Moms - Healthy Eating 12. Food Labels: What is Changing 22. Vitamin D
- Breastfeeding the First Month 13. Food Safety 23. Yogurt
- Calcium 14. Fruit Juice
- Canned & Frozen Fruits & Veggies 15. Healthy Weight in Children
- Choosing Fast Food Wisely 16. Introduction to WIC
- Cholesterol 17. Iron
- Dental Health 18. Lead
- Feeding Cues 19. 9 Month Old and Transitioning
- Feeding Your Toddler 20. Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables