FacebookTwitter DHHR | BPH | Text size A A A

WVSIIS-Immunization Registry

West Virginia Statewide Immunization Information System

WVSIIS is a confidential, computerized information system that keeps complete and up-to-date shot records. WVSIIS helps ensure that all West Virginia children, adolescents and adults have current immunizations.
Click here to access WVSIIS home page.

How does one locate their missing West Virginia shot record?

Unfortunately, there is no one central repository of vaccination records for all states.   However, each state has their own immunization registry.  West Virginia's immunization registry is called the Statewide Immunization Information System or WVSIIS.  The only other records that exist are the ones you or your parents were given when the vaccines were administered, and the ones in the medical record of the doctor or clinic where the vaccines were given. Sometimes schools hold the vaccination records of children who attended, but these records are usually not kept for more than a year or two.  Immunizers of children 18 years of age and younger must report all shots administered to WVSIIS within 2 weeks of administration.  WVSIIS maintains that record for the life of the patient.   Parents are encouraged to have their physician ensure that their child's shot record in WVSIIS is current.  Most all physicians and all health departments have access to WVSIIS.  This important registry can not only forecast future shots for your child, but also eliminates unnecessary or repeat vaccinations. 

Besides WVSIIS, where else can I look for existing records?

 Here is a simple quick tip sheet for locating lost or missing shot records.

 Children's records

  • Try calling your local or state health department's immunization program. Click here for a listing of all health departments in West Virginia.
  • Sometimes schools hold the vaccination records of children who attended, but these records are generally not kept for more than a year or two or, at the longest, until graduation. After a student graduates, records are sent to storage and may not be accessible.
  • Look for family records that may be in a baby book.
  • Check for records with your doctor or public health clinic. Please keep in mind, however, that immunization records are maintained for a limited number of years and then usually only by the medical provider who actually administered the vaccines.

College student's records

  • Many colleges provide vaccinations (often, certain vaccinations are required or recommended for enrollment).  Contact your college's medical services department (student health) for further information.    

Military records     

  • Check your military records.