FacebookTwitter DHHR | BPH | Text size A A A

Emergency Contact and Other Information

Contact Us (24/7/365)


(304) 558-5358, extension 1

(800) 423-1271, extension 1
(toll-free in West Virginia)

(answering service)


Confidential Disease Reports:
(304) 558-8736

Other Documents:
(304) 558-6335

350 Capitol Street
Room 125
Charleston, WV 25301

Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)

TESTING STUFF 1.Who do I contact when I have a WVEDSS question?



 Division Responsible 

 System down, Error message


 WVEDSS Help Desk

 Login problems, User account information


 WVEDSS Help Desk

 Case reporting/editing

 800-423-1271 or 304-558-5358


 Any Other issues


 WVEDSS Help Desk


2. How do I associate a laboraory report with an investigation in West Virginia Electronic Disease Surveillance System (WVEDSS)?

There are 2 ways you can associate a laboratory report with an investigation:

Method 1: (Easiest way) First, create the laboratory report in WVEDSS, then submit. After submitting the report click “Create Investigation” on the upper right hand side of the screen. This will automatically associate the investigation with that laboratory report.

Method 2: In WVEDSS, go into the patient’s investigation. At the very top left hand side of the screen is “Manage Associations”. Click that button to get a list of labs that have been created for that patient. On the left hand side of the labs is a box that you can click to create a check mark. Check that box and hit submit. This will associate that lab report with that investigation.

3. I have received a Hepatitis C lab report; what do I do now?

Fax the laboratory report to DIDE, fax number (304)-558-6335, Attention: Hepatitis C Registry.

 4. Do I still need to fax labs to DIDE since we have switched reporting systems?


 5. When do we stop investigating a case?
  1. When the investigation has been completed;
  2. When in the course of investigation, the case-patient was ascertained to be 'not a case';
  3. If after at least 3 attempts on separate occasions to contact or reach the case-patient (or parent/guardian), you are still unable to do so, you may consider the case-patient to be 'lost to follow-up'.  The case investigator needs to clearly document attempts and methods of contacting the patient.  For assistance and questions, contact the Regional Epidemiologist.

6. I just received a laboratory report from the Office of Laboratory Services (OLS) regarding a 'weird' organism isolated. What do I do?

Check the WV Reportable Disease Rule Chart. If the organism is not included in the list, most likely it is not reportable. Some exceptions include: rare organisms causing a cluster/outbreak of infections, novel organisms, etc. If at any time you are not sure, consult your Regional Epidemiologist or call DIDE Epidemiologist on-call at (304)-558-5358.

7. How can I minimize duplicate lab reports from being faxed?

Due to the number of reports received by the WV DHHR, it is difficult to keep track of which results have been forwarded (faxed) to the Local Health Department (LHD). The most efficient method to determine if the LHD is informed of the test result is to check WVEDSS as LHD's are expected to enter the test results of reportable conditions. To minimize re-faxing of lab results to the LHD, LHDs are strongly encouraged to enter these labs as soon as received. It is DIDE's policy to fax labs to the LHDs if no report is in WVEDSS. We do this because we are not sure that the LHD is aware of the report if it is not in the system.

8. What do I do if I am receiving a lab for another county?

While we do our best to get the lab report to the correct county, disease reports and laboratory results may include patient street address, city and zipcode, but not the county information. In some cases, a West Virginia city or town sits on two counties. As such, it is difficult for the Division of Infectious Disease Epidemiology (DIDE) to determine the appropriate county of residence of the patient based on the street address, and so the DIDE may forward (fax) the report or laboratory result to the wrong county. DIDE requests that if you receive a lab report that intended for another county to please call and inform DIDE so that we can forward the lab report to the appropriate county.

9. I am having difficulty obtaining the necessary information about a patient from the health care provider. What do I do?

Introduce yourself and inform the health care provider of your work affiliation and why certain information is necessary for public health to obtain. Inform the provider about the provisions of West Virginia legislative rule: Reportable Diseases, Events and Conditions, Title 64, Series 7, or 64CSR7. A copy of the rule is found at http://www.dhhr.org/oeps/disease/reporting/pages/default.aspx. Also, a signed memo from the State Health Officer addressing the HIPAA Privacy is available at http://www.dhhr.org/oeps/disease/reporting/documents/hipaa_letter.pdf. Also ask your administrator and health officer for assistance. They may be able to assist you with this matter by talking to the health care provider.