Farmers Markets Regulations & Permits

​Farmers Markets and Direct Sales Farmers will be required to have a West Virginia State Business License and, if applicable, a City/County Business License.  If selling at an established Farmers Market, each vendor must have a vendor permit to operate at that location.  Only Farmers Markets that are licensed as a corporation or a Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) are required to register with the West Virginia Secretary of State’s Office.  ALL Farmers Markets and Direct Sales Farmers need to register with the West Virginia Department of Tax and Revenue if they sell anything that requires taxes be collected.

While there is not a comprehensive website of all the licenses and permits required by Farmers Markets, the following links will provide essential information.

Please contact your local county health department for information or questions on examination and card requirements for food handlers.