Bureau for Family Assistance Programs

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Families with children may be eligible for assistance programs that can provide them with food and shelter costs, help paying utility bills, and educational resources. Please see below for more information.

Family Image 3.jpg

Click the graphic below to view the Bureau for Family Assistance Program Resource Guide:


​Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

SNAP Employment & Training (SNAP E&T)​


Medicaid for Long Term Care

Medicare Premium Assistance Programs

School Clothing Allowance

Utility Assistance/LIEAP​​

Child Care Assistance and Early Childhood Resources

​​This page includes information about child care assistance, as well as links to early childcare resources for providers and parents, such as:

      • ​​​WV Head Start and Early Head Start Programs
      • WV Pre-K
      • Tiered Reimbursement​​
      • Resource and Referral Professional Development Teams
      • WV Early Childhood Training Connections and Resources
      • WV Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Designation
      • West Virginia Infant/Toddler Specialists Network
      • Early Care Share West Virginia

Disaster Programs

When a disaster is declared you must first complete a FEMA application by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or by going online here​

After contacting FEMA, you can call 1-866-982-4685 for information regarding programs administered by the State of West Virginia and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.

West Virginia Other Needs Assistance (ONA) Program

Money is awarded for necessary expenses and serious needs caused by disaster. This includes medical, dental, funeral, personal property, transportation, moving and storage, and other expenses that are authorized by law. To receive money for needs other than housing that are the result of a disaster, you must have accepted assistance from all other sources for which you are eligible such as insurance proceeds or Small Business Administration (SBA). 

For more information about the ONA program, contact your local DHHR office.  Click here ​​for a list of all county offices.

Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT)

​NEMT reimburses recipients of Medicaid and the Children with Special Health Care Needs programs for the cost of transportation associated with receiving medical services. Payments are made to the client or transportation providers and can include meals, lodging and turnpike tolls when required. 

As of 2014, NEMT is provided by the Bureau of Medical Services. For assistance call 1-844-549-8353.  For further information, visit the Bureau for Medical Services NEMT webpage​.

Child Support

The Bureau for Child Support Enforcement (BCSE) assists in establishing paternity, child support and medical support, even if the parties are out-of-state. After establishing orders, BCSE collects and distributes your support, including spousal support and modifies existing child support orders.

Should you have questions about child support services, contact the BCSE Customer Service Unit at 1-800-249-3778.​