Refugee Resettlement

Refugee cash, medical, and social/employment services are provided to qualifying individuals and families who are refugees. The cash assistance and medical coverage are similar to WV WORKS and Medicaid. Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) provides a grant to purchase Refugee Social Services through a contract with the West Virginia Office of Migration and Refugee Services, part of Catholic Community Charities.

Applicants for WV WORKS, Medicaid and SNAP must declare whether they are U.S. Citizens. If they are aliens, the Bureau for Family Assistance (BFA) Department of Family Assistance Policy seeks verification of their lawful status from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The INS inquiries are handled centrally by the 
BFA Division of Family Assistance Policy, Office of Family Support Policy.

The Repatriation program provides temporary assistance to U.S. Citizens and th
eir dependents who are returned to the U.S. from a foreign country by the Department of State because of an emergency/crisis and other resources are not available to the citizen(s). This program is administered through the cooperation of the appropriate Federal Office, BFA Office of Family Support Policy, and the DHHR county office of the repatriate's county of residence to provide needed arrangement, services,​ and financial assistance.

For more information about Refugee Resettlement, ​​contact your local Department of Human Services (DoHS) office.  Click here​ for a list of all county offices.​